Running Minecraft with 64 bit Java
If you have Windows 7 or 8 installed in 64-bit mode, take advantage of running Minecraft on 64-bit Java.
Why Run 64-bit?
Why run Minecraft with 64-bit Java…
- Less crashes
- Smoother and faster rendering
- Less lagging
Check if you’re running Windows 7 in 64-bit
- Click on Start –> Control Panel –> System & Security –> System
You should then have a window that looks something like this…
Check if you’re running 32-bit or 64-bit Java
- Click on Start > Control Panel > Programs > Java
This should open the Java Control Panel
- Click on the Java tab –> then on the View button
You should see a window that looks like this…
Installing 64-bit Java
Installing 64-bit version of Java
- Click on Start –> All Programs –> Internet Explorer (64-bit)
- Browse to www.java.com
- Click on the main Download button
The page that loads should say “64-bit Java for Windows – Internet Explorer“
- Click the button to start the download.
- Follow the prompts to install 64-bit Java
Once installed, go back to the previous tab and follow the instructions to check that the 64-bit version of Java is installed correctly.
Check that Minecraft is using 64-bit Java
- Run Minecraft and Login
- Click on Options –> Video Settings
- Set the Render Distance to “Far“